Team YoruSoi

An LGBTQ friendly forum for Bleach fans.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Black Lagoon - If Quentin Tarantino Made Manga

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SoldierG65434-2
H-H-Hacker
H-H-Hacker

PostSubject: Black Lagoon - If Quentin Tarantino Made Manga   Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:38 pm

So it turns out that manga can actually be really good. You just have to get out of the realm of shounen and you can get plots that aren't canned and terrible and women that aren't useless. and fights that aren't and endless series of transformations.

Recently, Polaris introduced me to a manga called Black Lagoon. And goddamn, it's pretty fucking great.

At the start, it's about a Japaneses business man that ends up joining a mercenary company, but it quickly turns into a story about The Russian and Chinese mafia, the Yakuza, counterfeiters, maids that curtsy grenades, nuns with guns, neo-Nazis and a whole bunch of crazy shit.

But if that's not enough (which I can't imagine why it wouldn't be), you should seriously just read it for Revy.

This isn't a manga for the faint hearted though. It's extremely and graphically violent, hyper-profane and there is a fair bit of (female) nudity. A lot of messed up up stuff happens to, with the Bloodsport Fairy Tale arc standing out as particularly perverse in the truest sense of that word.

The action moves at a good clip, the plots are excellent, the dialogue is spot on and peppered with random and sometimes obscure references ala-Tarantion, and the characters (except Fabiola) are superb. It's a great piece of work and you should definitely give it a look.

Seriously, read it for Revy.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
We think we know your secret. But it's safe with us.
Co-Administrator
Fanfiction.net - Ficlets - My fic commentaires - Tumblr
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FullMetal Spartan
Privaron Espada

PostSubject: Re: Black Lagoon - If Quentin Tarantino Made Manga   Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:21 am

Oh man, I love this series. Noes All its content, themes and characters are awesome. I look forward to each new volume that comes out. I also love the anime and OVAs. Fangirl
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SoldierG65434-2
H-H-Hacker
H-H-Hacker

PostSubject: Re: Black Lagoon - If Quentin Tarantino Made Manga   Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:36 pm

The third Season of the anime is starting to come out now. Looks like it's going to be dedicated to the El Baile De La Muerte arc. I'm not really a huge fan of that arc, but I am interested to see what Madhouse does with it. This is a rare instance where I generally think what gets added to the anime is well done and interesting.

I'm actually going to wait for the dub though. I just recently finished watching the dub and I'm all on board. It's actually shockingly good. The thing that stands out to me is there are only a handful of instances of unfortunate translation.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Co-Administrator
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PolarisAmane
Writing Monster

PostSubject: Re: Black Lagoon - If Quentin Tarantino Made Manga   Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:29 am

I told you that the dub was awesome! It's oneof those rare instances where they got it so very right, and is better than the original Japanese version.

The only bit I felt they messed up was when Revy was in Japan and playing with those kids. They shouldn't have dubbed over the kids since Revy can't understand what they're saying. I think the scene lost a lot of it's impact and humour there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SoldierG65434-2
H-H-Hacker
H-H-Hacker

PostSubject: Re: Black Lagoon - If Quentin Tarantino Made Manga   Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:48 am

Yeah, the "Give" scene in the Bowling Alley didn't play as well in the dub as in the sub (Revy's VA switches to phonetic English) or the manga either. Also, they made Shenhua and atheist, which took some of the fun out of that scene between her and Eda.

I'm really curious to see what they do with Roberta's arc. Even though it's over twice as long as Fujiyama Ganster Paradise, it's a episode shorter (granted, the last episode of FGP completely changed the ending in a way I wasn't entirely sure of). I also hear there's been a bit of an outcry from Roberta fans over the way the ending got changed. I'm particularly fond of her or the arc, so I'm mostly just curious.

Also; when the fuck is the manga going to update?

Co-Administrator
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Lagoon - If Quentin Tarantino Made Manga   

Back to top Go down

Black Lagoon - If Quentin Tarantino Made Manga
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1