Team YoruSoi

An LGBTQ friendly forum for Bleach fans.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Yoruichi and Samus Aran

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SoldierG65434-2
H-H-Hacker
H-H-Hacker

PostSubject: Yoruichi and Samus Aran   Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:48 pm

This may seems a tad tangential, but pear with me for a moment. The Game OverThinker, also know as MovieBob, recently released a video discussing the controversy over the characterization of Samus in Metroid: Other M. As I was watching this, I realized that a lot of what he was saying, especially in terms of fan-characterization based on minimal information and gender politics, applied to Yoruichi just as well. It's a rather long video, clocking in at around 12 minutes, but it's worth a watch, if only to connect the dots between Samus being a badass and Yoruichi being a whore.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
We think we know your secret. But it's safe with us.
Co-Administrator
Fanfiction.net - Ficlets - My fic commentaires - Tumblr
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr Khan
Hollow

PostSubject: Re: Yoruichi and Samus Aran   Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:37 am

Funnily enough, my characterization of Samus was very close to what Other M presented, though i had less of an issue with Other M than some, because i sympathized better with her desire to present herself as the good student when finally confronted with her old CO/surrogate father figure. I also envisioned her as fairly contemplative, aware of the events going on around her and the gravity and vague sadness of them, and that she herself was somewhat melancholic

The difference, of course, is that while Yoruichi is only vaguely characterized, she *is* characterized, whereas Samus was not (all we had to go on was the awesome shit we could make her do as the players of video games), and Yoruichi's analysis as a "whore" is simply extrapolation of the fandoms lingering belief that there's some deeper connection between her and Urahara, reconciled with her obvious teasing of both Soi Fon and to a much lesser degree, Ichigo, as well as the anime omakes portrayal of her as constantly toying with Soi Fon's affection

Whore Yoruichi is basically tertiary extrapolation, extrapolation of extrapolation, an interesting result of older fan-norms (that brewed from pre-TBtP speculation about why exactly she left with Urahara of all people) colliding with what the anime and Kubo use as the occasional joke, then twisted around with a good bit of dim views on gender and sexuality thrown in
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SoldierG65434-2
H-H-Hacker
H-H-Hacker

PostSubject: Re: Yoruichi and Samus Aran   Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:23 pm

Mr Khan wrote:
Funnily enough, my characterization of Samus was very close to what Other M presented, though i had less of an issue with Other M than some, because i sympathized better with her desire to present herself as the good student when finally confronted with her old CO/surrogate father figure. I also envisioned her as fairly contemplative, aware of the events going on around her and the gravity and vague sadness of them, and that she herself was somewhat melancholic
Off the immediate topic: My beef with Other M (insofar as I'm allowed to have one. I have no real reverence for the series and I've only watched what I could stomach of the story on YouTube) is in it's execution. I can see what they were going for with Samus, but they executed it astoundingly poorly, from the writing/translation to deciding to cast a manila envelope as her voice actress. Had the executed the story better, I feel like people would have been more receptive of it.

That's not to say there's not at least implicit misogyny in her portrayal. The Zero Suit has high-heels for fuck's sake. But that's a discussion for another time.

Mr Khan wrote:
The difference, of course, is that while Yoruichi is only vaguely characterized, she *is* characterized, whereas Samus was not (all we had to go on was the awesome shit we could make her do as the players of video games), and Yoruichi's analysis as a "whore" is simply extrapolation of the fandoms lingering belief that there's some deeper connection between her and Urahara, reconciled with her obvious teasing of both Soi Fon and to a much lesser degree, Ichigo, as well as the anime omakes portrayal of her as constantly toying with Soi Fon's affection

Whore Yoruichi is basically tertiary extrapolation, extrapolation of extrapolation, an interesting result of older fan-norms (that brewed from pre-TBtP speculation about why exactly she left with Urahara of all people) colliding with what the anime and Kubo use as the occasional joke, then twisted around with a good bit of dim views on gender and sexuality thrown in
It really seemed like the fandom had their mind made up about Yoruichi out the gate. They really didn't stop to consider alternative interpretations. and as you pointed out, Studio Perriot didn't do much to help matters either.

Things have changed a bit though. Basically, at this point the fandom at large seems to think of Yoruichi as bascially as the same character as Makoto Kusinagi from Ghost in the Shell (the series, not the movies or manga). Witty, charming, sexy, sexual, and the most capable in her field (complete with the gender-bending overtones).

While that seems to be closer to the mark, given what we have, it's still what people want Yoruichi to be, not what she actually is. At least not yet, there's still plenty of time.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
We think we know your secret. But it's safe with us.
Co-Administrator
Fanfiction.net - Ficlets - My fic commentaires - Tumblr
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crimson Warrior
Grandmaster of the TenKuei Klan

PostSubject: Re: Yoruichi and Samus Aran   Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:09 pm

I loved Other M. I just think they picked the wrong time in Sammy's life to break out with the full voice acting and attempting to show off her character. After all, she had such emotional turmoil. She left her father-figure on a bad note when she was about 18 (Yes I know that in the original Metroid, Sammy was 18) to be a bounty hunter, and she never saw him since, so she had a whole lot of angst (I think that's correct) going on throughout the whole game. But still, she does regain that omega-badassness that made us Metroidheads fall for her in the first place (That and she has a cannon. Women with guns are fucking sexy as hell. ADMIT IT!!) near the end. So cut her some slack. The story was engaging, the gameplay was phenomenal, her voice could use a little more emotion, but at least it was softer than her Super Smash Bros. Brawl voice. And (yes I'm gonna say it!) she's beautiful (Too bad she's fake). As for Yoruichi. I just think she's the stereotypical cat-girl persona. Beautiful and a professional tease.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yoruichi and Samus Aran   

Back to top Go down

Yoruichi and Samus Aran
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1