Team YoruSoi
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team YoruSoi

An LGBTQ friendly forum for Bleach fans.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Used Games Could Become Illegal in the US

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SoldierG65434-2
H-H-Hacker
H-H-Hacker
SoldierG65434-2

Used Games Could Become Illegal in the US Empty
PostSubject: Used Games Could Become Illegal in the US   Used Games Could Become Illegal in the US EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 8:40 pm

Recently, the 9th Circuit of the U.S. Court of Appeals ruled that software companies have the right to restrict the selling of their software, making a distinction between licensing and ownership.

The case itself revolved around the program AutoCAD, which in it's user agreement stated that paying for it merely granted the purchaser the license to use the software, not ownership rights. The inclusion of of this in the user agreement makes the resale of the software, weather by individuals or retailers, a sort of copyright infringement, since they never truly owned the software, just he right to use it. For more in-depth reading on the subject, please read Gamasutra's Court Of Appeals Ruling Threatens Sale Of Used Games?

Where do games come into play? Basically, if game publishers decided to include a contract on purchase saying that you are just purchasing the rights to play the game, not the game itself, then used games will essentially be illegal.

This is a really big deal. Game publishers have been at war with used games sellers for basically ever, and now they have a legal weapon to use against them.

And to be fair, the reselling of used games is copyright infringement because % of the price goes tot he reseller. The publishers get nothing and the developers don' get paid.

Personally, games are just way to fucking expensive for me not to get them used, or wait years for the price to depreciate.

The best solution to this is an agreement between reseller and publishers so that all parties get paid.
Back to top Go down
Azley
... and Justice for All
Azley

PostSubject: Re: Used Games Could Become Illegal in the US   Used Games Could Become Illegal in the US EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 2:48 am

I know what they mean and technically they are right.

Still they shouldn't whine over it - they got paid when I buyed the game for a damn high price so if I sell it I sell it - they should get over themselves.
This counts for DVD's, music, books, software & other stuff also - don't hear any whining from there (well not more than usual)

If they come to any terms and demand money from those shops who resell the games -> aka used games getting more expensive then I'm out.
It's not that I buy many used games - mostly only older ones for SNES, PSX aso. but still ~

Oh well - luckily I don't live in US and all my next gen consoles have custom firmware so if they fuck things up here I'll download all new games and don't pay anything anymore (hell I only buy games for the cases anyway currently...)
Back to top Go down
http://azley.deviantart.com
Catlove
Ulquiorra Level
Catlove

PostSubject: Re: Used Games Could Become Illegal in the US   Used Games Could Become Illegal in the US EmptyFri Sep 17, 2010 7:05 am

So limited release games will become impossible to acquire after just a few weeks then... Eh, I'll believe it when I see it. Gamestop and similar retailers make the majority of their profit by ripping off people with their trade in system and reselling the games at a profit, so I'm sure a lot of strong powers will conflict before any sort of resolution is made.
Back to top Go down
Crimson Warrior
Grandmaster of the TenKuei Klan
Crimson Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Used Games Could Become Illegal in the US   Used Games Could Become Illegal in the US EmptyMon Sep 20, 2010 8:56 pm

If used games become illegal then fukitol. I'm using emulators already anyways.
Back to top Go down
GS Dragono
Hollow

PostSubject: Re: Used Games Could Become Illegal in the US   Used Games Could Become Illegal in the US EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 2:39 pm

Haha, the Shin Megami Tensei series would go underground. A lot of those games thrive on used trade.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Used Games Could Become Illegal in the US   Used Games Could Become Illegal in the US Empty

Back to top Go down

Used Games Could Become Illegal in the US
Page 1 of 1