Team YoruSoi
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team YoruSoi

An LGBTQ friendly forum for Bleach fans.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

One Piece

Go down 
+2
FullMetal Spartan
Zura
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Zura
Edo no Akatsuki
Zura

One Piece Empty
PostSubject: One Piece   One Piece EmptySun May 30, 2010 5:46 pm

"A man's dreams will never die!!!"

In a world of endless oceans and exotic islands, a Golden Age of Piracy has arisen following the demise of the infamous "Pirate King", Gold Roger.

Pirates from across the globe are searching for Roger's cache of treasure—known as One Piece—said to be hidden somewhere in the Grand Line, the most dangerous stretch of ocean in the world.

One Piece, a manga by Eiichiro Oda which has also been adapted into an anime, is the story of Monkey D. Luffy, an ambitious but kind young man who dreams of following in the footsteps of his childhood hero, Captain Shanks, by becoming a great pirate. In fact, he plans to find One Piece and become the new "Pirate King". To that end, he's assembled a loyal crew of eclectic sorts:

- Roronoa Zoro, a lazy former Bounty Hunter and student of three-swords fighting style. He carries a one in each hand and a one in his mouth, and dreams of becoming the world's greatest swordsman by defeating Dracule "Hawk Eye" Mihawk.

- Nami, a sly, spunky female thief and navigator who dreams of making a map of the entire world. She's quite greedy and obsessed with cash, often conning other characters, even her own crewmates. In her backstory, we find out why.

- Usopp, a long-nosed, cowardly sharpshooter with a penchant for bragging and telling tall tales. Has the alter ego of Sogeking, the "King of Snipers". He dreams of becoming a great warrior of the sea, much like his father, with the side goal of visiting Elbaf, an island of giants and a "warrior's paradise".

- Sanji, a snarky, girl-crazy, chain-smoking Chef Of Iron who saves his hands for cooking by fighting with his feet. He dreams of finding the "All Blue", a sea where the four "regular" seas (not counting the Grand Line) converge, and therefore holds every species of fish in the world.

- Tony Tony Chopper, a naive and adorable reindeer who also happens to be an expert doctor. He dreams of becoming a doctor that can cure any disease.

- Nico Robin, mystery lady, archaeologist, and former agent of Baroque Works that dreams of finding the Rio Poneglyph, an enormous stone block that holds the world's "True History".

- Franky, the crew's resident shipwright/cyborg/speedo enthusiast. Powers up on cola and dreams of making an invincible ship that can sail to the edge of the world. Word Of God is that he's based on Jim Carrey's Ace Ventura.

- Brook, a fencing musician skeleton with an afro, a weird sense of humor, an odd obsession with seeing women's panties, and the power to come back from the dead. Once. After he's already decayed to a skeleton. He dreams of reuniting with Laboon, a whale his crew befriended before leaving for the Grand Line, and betrayed by dying before returning to him as promised.

Together, the Nakama crew of Straw Hat Pirates travel the world, making their way to and through the Grand Line, facing villainous rival pirates and the forces of the corrupt World Government.

The big gimmick to the show is that many characters on the show, including Luffy, have consumed a Devil Fruit, apparently magical fruits that grant the user incredible powers, at the cost of making them physically incapable of swimming. Luffy, for example, has eaten the Gum Gum Fruit, turning him into a Rubber Man that is capable of stretching his body like elastic. The powers granted by the other Devil Fruits are a varied bunch, from producing natural soap to turning into a giraffe to becoming a being made of living ice.

One Piece suffers so much bad luck trying to be (properly) accessible in the United States, it reaches epic proportions that compares to a Terry Gilliam syndrome! Much to the outrage of fans of the series, 4Kids Entertainment picked up the rights to show the anime in the U.S. and proceeded to edit, rewrite and otherwise mangle it to an absolutely horrific extent, even by comparison to their previous works. Entire arcs were removed, almost all the violence was toned down and guns were either laughably passed off as "water pistols" or crudely redrawn into things like slingshots or weird telephone/shower-head/hammer things.

When 4Kids gave up dubbing One Piece in 2007, Funimation picked up the license and began redubbing the series, with better dialogue and greater overall faithfulness to the source material. Unfortunately, this was not enough to save the badly-wounded franchise's run on Cartoon Network, and the TV broadcast was canceled.

Then in 2009, it was announced that the series would be simul-cast on the internet. And The Fandom Rejoiced... until digital pirates took the sub off the website before Funimation put up an official link to it and released it early. After this, the whole simulcast was delayed for three months to tighten their security and prevent any future leaks. And now it's here! They continue to produce One Piece on DVD, starting from the beginning, uncut and unedited. So at least a happy ending there.

What's more Viz, and the U.S. Shonen Jump are now releasing the manga five volumes per month starting from January 2010, allowing the English readers to quickly catch up with the Japanese audience (similar to their treatment of the Naruto manga). The U.S. Shonen Jump has also moved ahead to the Impel Down arc after finishing the Alabasta arc.

It has had far less trouble establishing itself in other parts of the world, especially its home country. In fact, One Piece is the best-selling manga of all time. So yeah, it's sort of popular.

Discuss One Piece and everything related with it here :)
Back to top Go down
FullMetal Spartan
Privaron Espada
FullMetal Spartan

One Piece Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Piece   One Piece EmptySat Jun 26, 2010 4:17 pm

I definitely love this series. One of my favorites of all time. I find it kinda sad that it isn't discussed as much like Bleach and Naruto on a lot of forums.
Back to top Go down
Azley
... and Justice for All
Azley

One Piece Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Piece   One Piece EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 11:52 am

One Piece is fucking epic. I just began reading it in a whole instead of pieces here and there.

After Bleach became so damn boring I need something which is awesome instead so yeah -> One Piece all the way.

The characters are all unique all the way from the names to the look and the character, you have belivable villains (non in permanent god-mode...), the world is just great (kinda DBZ like with animal like humans and whatnot).

I can't understand why people complain about the art-style being simple...or does this look fail ->
Epicness:

I never once cried reading Naruto, Bleach or any other manga. While reading One Piece I always cry - be it either because of sadness, epicness or compassion.
Shanks loosing his arm, Nami crying for help, the marines saluting behind Coby and letting Luffy & Co escape, Robin crying in Enies Lobby, Ace dying and thousand other things - One Piece is packed with epicness and has everything I wish Bleach would be ~

Last edited by Azley on Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://azley.deviantart.com
Crimson Warrior
Grandmaster of the TenKuei Klan
Crimson Warrior

One Piece Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Piece   One Piece EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 11:58 am

Oh, boy... another One Piece fan. Well, good for you that you found a nice manga to read. Just do me a personal favor and don't recommend it to me. My best friend just doesn't seem to get that I'm not interested in it and won't fucking leave me alone about it, thus making me less interested.

I do recommend Black Lagoon. Revy is fucking incredible.
Back to top Go down
Yoruichi Fon
Sushi Monster
Yoruichi Fon

One Piece Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Piece   One Piece EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 12:21 pm

I started reading the manga, and made it to around book 5, but I just can't get into it. Dunno why, just can't. It seems pretty decent though.
Back to top Go down
Fatalicious
R&R Lover
Fatalicious

One Piece Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Piece   One Piece EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 2:31 pm

I really like one piece. but I'm not up to date at all. I stopped reading it after a while, for reasons I have now forgotten. Unfortunetly, now it's going to be hard to find the old chapters that I haven't read yet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.20b.org
Azley
... and Justice for All
Azley

One Piece Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Piece   One Piece EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 2:37 pm

Crimson Warrior wrote:
Oh, boy... another One Piece fan. Well, good for you that you found a nice manga to read. Just do me a personal favor and don't recommend it to me. My best friend just doesn't seem to get that I'm not interested in it and won't fucking leave me alone about it, thus making me less interested.

I do recommend Black Lagoon. Revy is fucking incredible.

Dude this is a One Piece thread and not a recommendation-thread...
I haven't talked to you or anything and just wrote what I think about One Piece in general. If you hate One Piece don't bother commenting in this thread, seriously...
Back to top Go down
http://azley.deviantart.com
Sponsored content

One Piece Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Piece   One Piece Empty

Back to top Go down

One Piece
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Team YoruSoi :: General :: Other Manga/Anime-
Jump to: